Do you want to stop drinking alcohol this year? Quitting alcohol can be a daunting task, but it is possible. To help you on your journey, it's important to understand why you drink, surround yourself with people who can help you quit, and celebrate your accomplishments along the way. The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) is dedicated to leading public health initiatives that promote mental health, prevent substance abuse, and provide treatment and support to promote recovery. When it comes to quitting alcohol, SAMHSA recommends starting with a specific goal of reducing your drinking.
For many people, the withdrawal symptoms associated with quitting alcohol are only temporary. To stay on track, consider joining an online community of people who have stopped drinking. There is no one-size-fits-all approach when it comes to quitting alcohol; it's about finding what works for you and your lifestyle.To help you quit drinking alcohol, here are some tips and strategies:
- Understand why you drink.
- Set a specific goal for reducing your drinking.
- Surround yourself with people who can help you quit.
- Join an online community of people who have stopped drinking.
- Be mindful of your triggers.
- Celebrate your accomplishments.